A fun fair turned into an unexpected fire drill yesterday, after smoke was spotted coming out of a bathroom at Glenwood Center.
Port Alberni Fire Chief Kelly Gilday says there were close to 300 people inside Glenwood when fire alarms went off at 5:15,
Fire Crews arrived quickly and doused a blaze in a bathroom garbage can.
The Port Alberni Association of Community Living was holding a family fun fair at the time, and many at the event were children and adults with developmental disabilities.
Chief Gilday says there was significant structural damage to the bathroom and parts of the east side of the building also suffered quite a bit of smoke damage.
He said the fire is suspicious, and is now under police investigation.